Sunday, August 19, 2012

Berry Wonderful

As much as I enjoyed our wild raspberry picking adventure it was a lot of work for such tiny berries which were often a little buggie or otherwise unfit so many did not pass final inspection. When I found out there was a small farm in Fairbanks where you could pick your own raspberries I knew we had to go check it out.


We found Pearl Creek Farm just off the beaten path nestled in a clearing of trees. It turned out to be just the loveliest little spot of land I'd ever seen.


I could have spent hours there just sitting and soaking up the perfect beauty of the carefully planted rows of flowers, vegetables and raspberries; breathing in the sweet air that smelled like flowers, fresh basil and soil.




Maddison liked it too.


Once my bucket was full of beautiful, juicy berries we took it to the scale for weighting and then left our money ($3.50 a lb.) in a lock box.


Those lovely berries then became freezer jam...


...and this amazing raspberry bread pudding.


As you can see I couldn't wait for Steve to get home before sampling a bite and it was AMAZING! One of those "pause and close your eyes" moments.

Sigh.

It certainly is not for the faint of heart, though. There is enough heavy cream and sugar in this thing to make a healthy person have a heart attack on the spot but it was so good. So so good! I might be drooling a little right now. And if you would like to try out this little piece of heaven, here is the  Raspberry Bread Pudding Recipe.

You're welcome.

2 comments: