Friday, January 9, 2015

Resolutions


A New Year’s survey I was looking at last week asked, “What was your favorite book in 2014?” I had to stop and think. Did I read a single book in 2014? I read part of a book I started in 2013 called Alaska by  James A.Michener. I managed to complete a good chunk of its 1000 small print pages this past year but I haven’t picked it up since Sage was born.  I enjoy reading but got out of the habit with the help of two tiny and cute distractions.  

So, for 2015 one of my New Year’s Resolutions is to read a book. More specifically, to dedicate 1 hour each Wednesday to reading after the kids have gone to bed. Perhaps I will even read more than one book this year. Some of you might be thinking, “One hour? That’s just my morning warm up,” but I assure you, it will be a tiny miracle manifested each week if completed. Trying to read during the day is pretty much impossible. Anything I do that looks like I’m not paying attention to Maddison is quickly squelched by Maddison. I can usually feign full attention by helping her color something in between loads of laundry or paying a bill in between turns at a game but reading a book is obvious neglect and Maddison will have none of that.

Last Wednesday was our first attempt. With the kids in bed, Steve and I cozied up on the couch, each with a book of our choosing. Steve: A World Without Bees, pilfered from my Dad’s library, and I: Cadillac Dessert - The American West and Its Disappearing Water, a recommendation from Steve.  With our tiny miracle within grasp, we began to read. It wasn’t long before we heard the pitter patter of little feet bringing our noses out of our books to see Maddison’s brown eyes staring back at us. Defeat. At least I made it half way through the introduction. We will try again next week and hopefully in 2016 I will have an answer to the question “What was your favorite book in 2015.”
Other resolutions this year include: Learn to make pizza crust dough, plant a fruit tree and learn to applique on my new sewing machine.

2 comments:

  1. We actually really like the whole wheat pizza crust recipe in the America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. It's a little... denser, and whole-wheatier, so if you are looking for light and fluffy, it's not the one. And if you ever need more book recommendations - let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your very worthy goals.

    ReplyDelete