Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings." -John Muir

Steve and I went to St. George last weekend to celebrate my sister's college graduation and Steve's cousins wedding.

While we were there we made a quick trip to Zion's National park with Steve's sister, Kelly, and hiked Angel's Landing. A 5 mile round trip hike with a 1488 foot elevation gain to the top. This means there are a whole lot of switch-backs including one set of 21 sharp switch-backs affectionately called "Walter's Wiggles."

Once near the top there is a skinny ridge that you climb with a 1200 foot drop on one side and 800 foot drop on the other.
You can see the ridge in this photo and can even see a few people making their way to the top. The view from the summit is incredible and well worth every step.
The locals at the top are friendly as well.






It is amazing how rejuvenating spending some time in nature is. There is a magic that I love to soak up and revel in every time I go to the mountains. John Muir said,
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
Like John Muir I too find healing and strength among the stones, trees, plants and animals. I am thankful for the beautiful earth and the opportunity to explore its majesty and simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment