Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rescuing what's important.

I had a dream the other night that our home was about to be flooded and I had a half hour to remove anything I did not want destroyed. I ran around collecting photos, important papers, sentimental items, clothing etc. and shoved it all into 2 suitcases as our house bobbed up and down on the water like a boat. When I woke up I remembered this dream vividly and thought about all the items I did not think were important enough to save. Did I really need these items? Could I get rid of them and still live a happy and comfortable life? In other words, could I de-clutter my life by getting rid of all the unnecessary excess? It was an inspiring thought but not one I have taken into action...yet.

The next Sunday I was teaching a Sunday school lesson and we were discussing the story of the Nativity, specifically about making room for the Savior in our lives. It made me think of my dream and I wondered if the non-physical clutter in my life was taking up too much space, not leaving enough room for the Savior? Are there things I could do without in order to make room for the most important things?

So this year I am going to try to leave a little more space for my Savior in each day. Like my friend Meesh proclaimed as one of her New Year's resolutions: "Spend quiet time with Jesus daily," I want to give Him a little more wiggle room to send me more love, inspiration and guidance while I send Him a little more gratitude, faith and time.

2 comments: