Saturday, May 5, 2012

Success!

We had a successful “inversion” yesterday to get our little squirt to flip out of a breach position (it only works 50% of the time).  It was a little more involved than I expected. I had to get 2 shots, 1 blood draw and an IV. Then a Dr. and my midwife went to work, forcefully pushing and sliding their hands on my uterus to try and coerce our little girl’s head down. It only lasted 3 or 4 minutes but it was pretty intense. I was very glad to hear them say, ‘Looks like her head is down,’ as I tried to catch my breath. I didn’t expect it to be so painful so I guess it was a pretty good taste of what labor will be like. I can’t imagine labor being much more painful but I guess we will see.

It is standard to keep you in the hospital for 2 hours after the procedure to make sure the baby recovers and there are no problems. After 2 hours they told me I was having contractions every few minutes and wanted to keep me an additional 2 hours for observation. I couldn’t feel the contractions but the monitor they had on me was picking them up pretty regularly.  After the additional hours the contractions were still occurring but since I wasn’t feeling them they sent us home.  

Today my belly is pretty sore, even to the slightest touch. I can definitely tell her feet are up instead of her head; those little heals have a little more power than her head as they kick around. She is sitting a little more comfortably for me as well. Before I always felt a little lop-sided but now she feels a little more centered and less bulgy with head and limbs every which way. So now we just wait and hope she doesn’t flip back over. We have just under 3 weeks until the due date and hopefully the next time we go to the hospital, we will be bringing her home with us. 

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I can't believe it's only 3 more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name Squirt...Squirt Pfost...it's unique ;)

    ReplyDelete