“Am I not as attractive as I think I am?” ~ Elaine, Seinfeld
Steve and I laughed at this quote the other day. Sitcoms are funny because the comedic situations could happen in real life but don’t, right?
Last Monday I found out that our IT guy thinks I dislike/distrust him. My jaw dropped at the ridiculous notion and my coworkers joined me in the disbelief as we laughed about it at our staff meeting.
But then I stopped and had to stop and ask myself:
“Am I not as congenial as I think I am?”
I have never knowingly treated our IT guy as if I disliked him. I don’t really dislike anyone. True, often I am in business mode at work but I am always pleasant to the IT guy, smiling, saying hello and thank you. I do ask him a lot of questions, ensuring we are spending our money wisely, making sure I know exactly what is going on and that I understand all of our options; doesn’t leave much time for casual chit-chat. I suppose this could come across as if I were suspicious of him but it is my job to make sure our computers are running, programs are working and we are spending our money appropriately and efficiently, right? Do I sacrifice good personal relations for “getting the job done” and don’t even know it?
This leaves me with two thoughts.
1) Perhaps I need to pay more attention to how I connect with other people, especially when I am busy and inquisitive. I may not even realize I am sending the wrong signal, in fact, I may think I’m sending the exact opposite signal. I may not be as congenial as I think I am. Gives me something to ponder.
2) If this can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. So unless someone comes out and say “Hey, I really dislike you,” don’t assume it to be true.
PS My next blog will be about a fancy homemade craft.
Well I don't really like you, but I wasn't waiting for someone else to say it first. Just kidding!! How could anyone dislike you? You know my motto: If Kat were a man I would have married her--too bad that Steve character stole her away. You brought up some good points here though. Makes me wonder how some people in different situations (co-workers, church folk, yoga students, music fans, etc...) perceive me.
ReplyDeletelol. Funny how my alpha personality immediately goes to, "he's feeling insecure and paranoid." IE, its not you, its him. But then I'm not as Christ-like as I think I am. ;)
ReplyDeleteI don't think people want to see my every day boring blah, blah, blah! I think blogs are usually on the upside with sometimes a dash of real life drama.
ReplyDeleteAs for your IT guy...that's funny.Sometimes when your busy you forget to be friendly.
Statistically we probably won't be friends with everyone we meet.
i think you may like the blog "Seriously So Blessed"
ReplyDelete