Monday, July 8, 2013

Valdez, AK

For the 4th of July we went to Valdez which is on the coast of Alaska and known for its fishing. I'd like to start this blog with a photo of "Uncle Salmon" who was the mascot of the festivities. He really inspires a feeling of patriotism, gratitude and...hunger.
 

 On the way to Valdez there are some beautiful road side waterfalls. It was such an amazing drive.
 
 
 It was drizzly pretty much the whole time but we enjoyed our trip anyway. We watched the parade which really was the smallest parade I have ever seen...and I have seen some small parades. It was about 2 blocks long and took about 10 min. to finish.

 
We also watched the fireworks but because it was so light outside and foggy, we could hardly see anything. The fog kept the firework smoke from drifting away so by the time the finally hit, we couldn't see a thing. We could, however, hear them. Valdez sits in a cove so the sound of the fireworks bounced off the mountains and were the loudest fireworks I have ever heard. I felt like we were being attacked by cannon firing pirates.

 
 At this spot we watched sea lions swimming in the ocean and a few bald eagles flying around. Steve went fishing with some friends on their boat one day while Maddison and I hung out on shore. Steve almost caught 2 pink salmon.


This was the view from out camp site.
 

We stopped by this glacier (notice the waterfall to the right). While Steve hung out with Maddison, I hiked to the base of the glacier.





And a quick lunch stop before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment